The Oceanstar Core System is an attitude and heading calculation engine. It uses data from multiple survey-grade GNSS receivers and a motion sensor to calculate the position, speed and attitude of a vessel. The receivers are typically located fore and aft, and to port and starboard. The Core System uses advanced GNSS calculations to measure the ship’s position, orientation and movement with centimetre-level accuracy. It broadcasts signals that meet the highest standards of reliability, availability and integrity.
Data processing and interfacing are handled by a dedicated computer within the Core cabinet – typically, the cabinet is placed in an equipment or instrument room alongside other electronic equipment, to simplify interconnections. A separate touch-screen Core Display computer, located on the bridge, provides intuitive and dedicated graphical views for each navigation function.
The Oceanstar Core System offers the following WheelMark-certified navigation equipment functions, each of which meets the relevant ISO and IEC standards and has a user-friendly Core Display showing calculated values:
- GNSS position - survey-grade GNSS receivers use all available satellite systems (GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou and Galileo) to calculate a composite GNSS position. The Core Display shows latitude, longitude, position quality and other positioning information
- Transmitting heading device - the Core System calculates and outputs a precise GNSS-derived heading
- Rate-of-turn-indicator - the Core System calculates accurate rate of turn based on changes in the ship’s heading
- Speed and distance measuring equipment (SDME) - the Core System calculates precise ship speed along longitudinal and transverse axes, and distance travelled
Oceanstar offers vessels and captains a navigation system that is easy to use and maintenance-free. It incorporates approved and ‘WheelMarked’ equipment for the maritime shipping industry which meets the relevant ISO and IEC standards.
The key benefits are:
- Provides vessels with an accurate and trusted GNSS position protected by our Satguard spoofing detection
- Lowers operating costs by providing accurate headings that reduce distance travelled and fuel consumption
- Improves the safety and efficiency of berthing operations by reducing incidents and saving time