3Direct® is based on state-of-the-art computer vision and machine vision methods the enable the tracking of features and objects that make up a structure (e.g. a jacket).
The method makes use of information contained in engineering drawings of the structure to track and calculate its position and orientation in real time from a live video stream.
One or more cameras are used to create a wide angle view across the structure from the deck of the installation vessel. Each camera is equipped with a motion sensor that compensates for vessel motion.
The position, heading, and pitch & roll of the monopile or jacket is accurately calculated in real time using advanced vision-based technology. The data is integrated, processed and reported in Fugro’s Starfix.NG software, enabling continuous hands-off operation through the placement.
Fugro is a company built on technical innovation; 3Direct® is the latest in a long line of pioneering solutions designed to improve performance, efficiency and safety.
The system offers a number of benefits over conventional methods of tracking and monitoring the structural installation process offshore.
- Greatly reduced HSE risk, thanks to no personnel needing to enter or scale the structure to install tracking equipment
- No downtime caused by the need to stop and survey the structure; information is available continuously throughout the installation process
- Faster installations, thanks to real-time monitoring enabling precise adjustments and first time right placement
- Data logging, time-stamped imagery, reporting and visualisation improve traceability
- Easy to transport, set up and use - 3Direct makes tracking the installation process simple and uncomplicated.