We provide the most comprehensive range of testing services for all types of foundations around the world; extending from full scale static loading tests using O-cell bi-directional arrangements and traditional loading techniques under computer control through to Statnamic, high strain dynamic loading and acoustic integrity tests. Our inspection services include on-site engineering supervision, quality control and monitoring tools to verify the pertinent parameters associated with installation.
- O-cell load testing – significantly reduce testing costs by eliminating the need for reaction piles and high capacity test beams. Portions of a drilled shaft or pile can be isolated using strain gauge instrumentation and multiple O-cell levels within the same pile.
- Top down testing – as part of a wide range of top load testing equipment and services. We provide jacks and instrumentation and full testing services for traditional top load tests.
- SoniCaliper – We developed the SoniCaliper to better characterize the 3 dimensional shapes of drilled shafts and other excavated deep foundation elements.
- RIM-cell – a relatively inexpensive quality assurance tool that can be embedded in shafts. A bi-directional load test is performed with full load-displacement information by using the shaft itself as part of the pressure vessel. The RIM-cell can also be used in a post stressing capacity. The advantage over other systems is full verification of the pre-stressing and load test results.
- Lateral load testing – We provide jacks, spherical plates, load cells and instrumentation as well as full testing services for lateral load tests.
- Split lateral modulus testing – O-cells are embedded in a drilled shaft or other element perpendicular to the shaft axis. Loads are applied in the lateral direction and the two shaft halves are expanded into the soil or rock. Analysis of this test is more complex than analysis of a traditional lateral load test.
- Deep foundation integrity testing – to establish concrete integrity we have been performing CSL testing and analysis for many years.
- Instrumentation and monitoring – we have world wide experience with short and long term monitoring systems using many types of structural and geotechnical instruments.
- High strain dynamic testing – to assist with pile driving analysis (PDA) and testing and most other types of high strain dynamic testing.
- Deep foundation consultancy – data from more than 1,500 projects makes up our database of load test results results - the world's largest. Our vast experience covers all aspects of deep foundation construction and design. We are uniquely positioned to provide a valuable consultancy for your complex deep foundation projects.
- Wave equation analysis
- Material and weld testing
Our specialised technicians provide independent, third-party installation monitoring services which meet process industry practices (PIP) and requirements of other standard specifications. Whether the foundation components are drilled shafts, augered cast-in-place (ACIP) piles, concrete, steel, timber or composite driven piles, screw piles barrettes, or micropiles, our installation reports give you daily work summaries and detailed pile installation and test records. We understand the importance of soil conditions to foundation performance and pay strict attention to drilling activities and/or blow count trends for comparison with design assumptions.
Our experience includes large and prestigious civil engineering projects such as buildings, bridges, ports and harbours, dams, wind farms and heavy engineering plants, metros and subway developments, for both the public and private sectors.
O-cell® Load Testing
The Osterberg Cell® has radically changed the way foundation load tests are designed, performed and interpreted, replacing small test shafts, the result of scaling down because of the enormous expense of conventionally testing large diameter shafts. Non-conservative scaling errors can be eliminated by testing the full size production shafts, even if loads exceed 220 MN (50,000 kips).
Numerous world records have been set using the O-cell, including the current world record of 320MN (72,600 kips) set in Louisville, Kentucky, USA. Many ultra-high capacity piles and monopiles are being designed today as a direct result of our ability to test these piles.
We have been involved in world-class projects in over 60 countries and our specialised resources include:
- World's largest international load test database. We leverage the knowledge we have amassed to help design the optimal load test programme and ultimately the most efficient deep foundation. This helps to manage geotechnical risk; a significant benefit to your project
- State-of-the-art technology, such as the O-cell, providing more accurate data and reducing costs during and after construction
- Extensive knowledge of soil interaction, allowing our engineers to better understand how foundations will perform
- Our staff include some of the recognised world experts in the field of foundation testing
- A network of offices around the globe, enabling us to mobilise to your project site, no matter how remote