Fugro in Brussels and Nanterre offices offer specialized consultancy and engineering services in both land and marine environments. We are currently seeking a bright, highly skilled and motivated Senior Geotechnical Engineer to join our growing consultancy team (marine division).
Successful applicants will be required to independently review and critique geotechnical data, subsequently derive appropriate design soil parameters and apply these in a variety of standard and non-standard geotechnical engineering applications to the highest quality and health and safety standards. Successful candidates will become responsible for a small team of geotechnical engineers and supervises their team on routine and non-standard engineering projects and recommend and implement improvements in specific operational and/or technical areas. Applicants will have demonstrable technical, commercial, project management and people management skills and experience in a fast-paced engineering consultancy environment with a desire to continually learn.
The successful candidate will actively participate to the development of the marine consultancy business. In particular, the key roles and responsibilities associated with this position include:
- In a supervisory role, plan, develop, coordinate, prepare and oversee reporting for multiple projects and clients
- Independently provide geotechnical interpretation, analysis and advice in a variety of standard and non-standard geotechnical engineering studies
- Lead the development of specific technical areas of expertise
- Ensure the commitments to clients are met in budget, timelines and quality, and maintain close relationships with the clients during the project and beyond
- Investigate and identify market opportunities, develop client portfolio and relations and prepare proposals
- Provide support and guidance to a small team of junior geotechnical engineers
- Promote and maintain technical and professional recognition in the field, gaining reputation as an internationally recognized subject matter expert
- Regularly attend industry meetings/conferences to ensure continued professional development and effective Client exposure
- Observe and follow all company safety rules and procedures
- A robust academic background with relevant degree (e.g. civil engineering, geotechnics or similar) ideally at MSc level or above;
- Excellent technical skills in relation to energy and/or offshore infrastructure geotechnical design (subsea pipelines, piles, suction caissons, shallow foundations, etc)
- Demonstrable mature engineering judgment in anticipating and solving challenging engineering problems, championing and facilitating advanced solutions based on Fugro’s industry leading portfolio of skills
- Excellent organisational skills;
- Knowledge of key industry design standards and codes within their area of experience;
- The ability to understand, interpret and critique results from standard and advanced laboratory testing, and be able to derive appropriate design soil parameters
- The ability to and experience in leading and developing a team of less experienced engineers;
- Competence in numerical simulations and geotechnical engineering software such as PLAXIS 2D/3D
- Excellent English written and verbal communication skills; knowledge of French or any other language would be an asset
- The ability to produce accurate numerical and written work with attention to detail;
- Experience in and confident in client liaison and client management;
- A creative thought process to engineering problems. Advancing existing design methods and having contributed towards conference and/or journal publications would be a significant advantage
- Willing to travel abroad for short term assignment
Education: MSc or PhD in civil / geotechnical engineering
Experience: minimum 10 years of experience in offshore geotechnical engineering
Location: Brussels (Belgium) or Nanterre (France) with regular business trips abroad (Europe and worldwide)
Being the world’s leading independent global geo-intelligence companies gives our staff the opportunity to develop at all experience levels. Our engineers have a desire to learn, develop new skills and technical understanding, and are actively encouraged to undertake industry-focused research and development to maintain and improve our technical competitiveness.
Fugro’s close links with leading academic institutions provide further opportunities for involvement in industry research projects and assist in developing cutting edge design, whatever your area of interest. Fugro has a significant advantage in this area with laboratories among the world’s largest advanced commercial geotechnical laboratories. In addition, Fugro supports its staff using Fugro’s global network of geotechnical engineers and other geo-discipline skillsets to enable exposure to new multi-disciplinary methods of working.
Fugro operates as an internal training school: Fugro Academy. Training courses are deployed to meet the Fugro group and local needs. The academy offers courses which suit the needs of our staff at many levels and is available globally to all staff. Training includes technical courses, and business and management courses.
Fugro’s global geoconsulting presence provides the opportunity to, if desired, undertake international secondments within Europe and globally, and work on offshore site investigations and perform engineering analyses offshore.
Why would you choose us:
- We aim to create a family like working environment and enjoy working together
- We are a multicultural team that cultivates entrepreneurial attitude and desire to continuously learn and keep improving
- We believe in delivering results rather than hours and strive for family-friendly employment practices
- We provide the right environment and career path for people who are passionate about geotechnics
- We cherish initiatives to promote our employees wellbeing and health (fresh fruit deliveries, subsidies for gym tickets, team events…)
A career at Fugro means challenging work in an international environment. You work in motivated teams with colleagues from all over the world. As Fugro we are proud to provide geo-intelligence and asset integrity solutions to contribute to a live-able world. As a market leader in geo-information, Fugro offers a unique combination of state of the art 3D technology, software development and engineering for our clients. Fugro is an international company with a wide range of global career potential.
How to apply?
If you are interested in this role we look forward to discussing this opportunity with you. Please click on our ‘apply’ button and upload your resume and cover letter.
Disclaimer for recruitment agencies:
Fugro does not accept any unsolicited applications from recruitment agencies. Acquisition to Fugro Recruitment or any Fugro employee is not appreciated.