Our geological and geophysical survey services are available around the world and our specific capabilities include:
- Desktop studies
- Review of existing geological data, air photos, and remote imagery.
- Integration of data sets to create a preliminary, GIS-based geological model
- Assessment of potential geological and geomorphic hazards
- Fault rupture analyses
- Probabilistic fault displacement hazard analyses
- Earthquake seismology
- Probabilistic and deterministic seismic hazard analyses
- Ground motion attenuation equation development
- Design ground motion and time history development
- Site response analyses (1D, 2D, 3D, linear, linear-equivalent, non-linear)
- Tsunami hazards (probabilistic assessments, wave modelling, run-up and inundation evaluation)
- Geological and Geomorphic Mapping
- Paleoseismic fault investigations
- Post-earthquake site characterisation
- Natural terrain hazard evaluations (landslides, settlement, slope stability)
- Engineering Geophysics
- Seismic reflection
- Seismic refraction and tomography
- Surface wave seismic methods including multichannel analysis of surface waves (MASW)
- VSP and check shot seismic
- Refraction micro tremor (ReMi)
- Borehole seismic methods including tomography
- Wireline logging (petrophysical, borehole imaging, hydraulic)
- PS suspension logging
- Cavity imaging
- Gravity and microgravity
- Electromagnetic conductivity techniques
- Ground penetrating radar (GPR)
- Self-potential (SP)
- Freshwater resistivity tomography
- Freshwater high-frequency acoustics
- Magnetometry and magnetic gradiometry
- Electrical resistivity tomography (ERT)
- Magcone (UXO)
Fugro’s geological and geophysical survey services provide value to your project, either alone or as a key component of an integrated site characterisation effort to gain insight into ground conditions. The information helps to understand of the nature and variability of ground conditions at a site or along a corridor, to guide the development of your targeted site investigation programme, to determine specific engineering properties and for assessment of ground risks. It also helps to develop an understanding of the behaviour of the ground in response to your planned development activities or natural forces, such as seismic shaking. Greater understanding lowers overall cost and reduces your project risk.
Geological and geophysical surveys benefit major civil works projects such as:
- Pipelines and other linear projects – In the early stage of planning a pipeline alignment to avoid or minimise the risk from landslides, faults, and other geological hazards. Once an alignment is selected, geophysical techniques can help you to understand the variability and nature of the soil and rock along a pipeline corridor, and to use this information to plan site investigation works, mitigate ground risk, and lower uncertainties and contingencies in the design and construction process.
- LNG terminals, nuclear power plants, and other critical facilities – Key elements in the early stage of the site selection process for critical facilities such as LNG terminals and nuclear power plants. Geological hazards such as active faulting, slope instability, solution cavities, liquefaction susceptibility, and seismic shaking can present significant risks; our geological and geophysical techniques can help you to avoid or mitigate these risks.
- Tunnels – Tunnel alignment selection, liner design and tunnel construction methodology are highly sensitive to the ground conditions through which the tunnel is built. Together with a well-planned site investigation programme, geological and geophysical surveys are the primary methods for developing a reliable ground model. This model will informing a sound design and minimise uncertainties in bidding and construction a tunnel in either soft ground or rock.
- Dams, levees, and water retention structures – Evaluation of the geological setting and the specific geological conditions at your project site is the first step to understanding the performance of an earthen structure or a water-retention structure as well as the risks associated with the construction and operation of that structure. We provide characterisation of the site conditions, help inform an appropriate site investigation programme to gather targeted information on the subsurface conditions and predict ground conditions between borings and CPTs.
We provide geological and geophysical surveys from our offices around the world and our geologists and geo-scientists are supported by advanced technologies, systems, and state-of-the-art equipment. Our professionals are ready to respond to your complex challenges always maintaining a safe working environment.
Amongst numerous benefits you can expect:
- Clear understanding of your requirements
- Global presence with local expertise in most regions
- Wide spectrum of services and technologies, delivering the optimal solution from a single contract
- Help to reduce ground risk, saving both schedule and life cycle cost.