Our technical experts provide geotechnical services for both large and small projects. Based on our vast experience in difficult and challenging projects around the world, we have developed tools that help identify risks and shorten the overall timeframe of design. Our multi-national teams possess strong analytical skills and experience in geotechnical evaluations.
We work on all phases of projects from site investigation through to geotechnical design, offering a wide range of services including:
- Land Reclamation
- Specification of Earthworks and Site Preparation
- Assessment and Design of Ground Improvement Schemes
- Foundation Design Using Local and International Design Codes
- Design Support for Large Industrial and Infrastructure Projects
- Soil-structure Interaction and Foundation Engineering
- Permafrost Engineering
- Onshore Mining
Underpinned by a large number of professionals, we provide a diverse range of engineering services for a range of applications:
- Land Reclamation – For land reclamation projects around the world, our consultancy services include integration of different datasets and interpretation of subsurface conditions, geotechnical design and recommendations for fill management, slope design, evaluation of settlements and scheduling of site works, design of ground improvement, design of dikes and construction supervision, as well as instrumentation design and implementation.
- Specification of Earthworks and Site Preparation – Providing design recommendations and developing specifications for earthworks and site preparation for industrial and infrastructure projects, our extensive experience pays dividends when dealing with difficult soils, such as expansive and/or collapsible soils. Our consultancy services include recommendations on suitable techniques for site preparation, excavability and rippability of onsite materials, grading recommendations, fill and cut slope inclinations, foundation and temporary excavations, material specifications, suitability of onsite materials for possible reuse for fill/backfill, compaction specifications, scour protection recommendations, construction supervision and full-time monitoring during construction.
- Assessment and Design of Ground Improvement Schemes – Our experience in ground improvement design includes structures and embankments founded on problematic soils (such as soft clays, collapsible/swelling soils, liquefiable soils). Typical ground improvement services include static and dynamic analyses, evaluation and design of various ground improvement schemes such as stone columns, CDSM walls, soil gabions, soil nails, ground anchors, steel inclusions, grouting and soil mixing.
- Foundation Design Using Local and International Design Codes – Typical foundation design services include bearing capacity, settlement and load deflection evaluations for shallow and deep foundations, development of soil springs and foundation stiffnesses, pile drivability evaluations and evaluation of settlements of existing foundations due to driving, pile installation recommendations and specifications, and pile load testing specifications.
- Design Support for Large Industrial and Infrastructure Projects – Fugro defines, organises and executes large industrial and infrastructure projects, often on very tight schedules, by integrating and interpreting a range of geotechnical, geological and geophysical data. We have provided geotechnical design support for numerous large projects around the world including long span bridges, ports, airports, motorways, railways, dams, tunnels, pipelines and onshore/nearshore processing facilities.
- Soil-structure Interaction and Foundation Engineering – With our experience and advanced numerical skills, we perform numerical evaluations for a range of soil-structure interaction problems such as evaluation of soil movement on various types of structures (buildings, tanks, shallow and deep foundations), development of nonlinear springs for use in structural models, deep excavations, settlements caused by tunnel excavation and demands on structures due to fault rupture.
- Permafrost Engineering – Fugro’s involvement with permafrost crosses all boundaries from site investigation by in situ tests and geophysical methods, through determination of engineering properties for normal and saline permafrost (onshore and offshore) to the analysis for engineering foundations and the design of techniques such as thermosyphons using advanced thermal modelling. We are at the forefront of developments in laboratory testing to measure the stress-strain-time properties and temperature sensitivity of permafrost soils, and of new sensors for in situ cone penetration testing in the field. Osterberg cell® techniques are also applied for detailed pile testing in permafrost with a particular focus on the measurement of creep and temperature sensitivity. We undertake projects in the Arctic and Antarctic regions and operate specialised centres of expertise in Russia and Canada, supported by a dedicated team in Europe. We work with all Russian and international codes and standards for permafrost and develop new and advanced techniques to optimise construction in permafrost regions, helping advance the state of the art.
- Onshore Mining – Our geotechnical design services support various mining projects, including stability and closure of tailings dams, subsidence analyses, rock and soil slope stability assessment and design of open pit mines. Our work on tailings and tailings dams covers the full spectrum including site investigation; characterisation of tailings material properties; and recommendations on dam construction, including instrumentation to monitor operating performance (with automated alert systems for any deviation from planned safe operating conditions). In the event of malfunction, our involvement in forensic investigations helps to determine the causes and proposes suitable remedial measures. We perform geologic mapping to identify the predominant joints and conduct slope stability analyses to identify potential failure modes for open pile mines.