Careers with Fugro
|Laboratory Technician - QATAR|
|company||Fugro Peninsular Geotechnical Services - Doha|
|level||HBO (BSc, BA)|
|apply before||31 Dec 2013|
1. Collect samples to be tested, register, test, store, and dispose of them in accordance with applicable standard laboratory quality procedures.
2. Before each test, ensure each equipment is in good working order and calibrations are up to date; carry out routine maintenance as well as performance checks, when required.
3. Conduct the required tests and record the results accurately.
4. Produce test data on standard format worksheets in a precise and timely manner in accordance with standard procedure, and sign the worksheet at the completion of a test.
5. Perform test data calculations, plot results and prepare test reports to be checked by a Senior Technician or Laboratory Manager.
6. After a test, ensure equipment and tools are in good condition, and if not ensure they receive proper attention and rectification; keep superior informed and take appropriate actions. Perform general housekeeping duties in the laboratory.
7. Perform an independent check of test data worksheets completed by other technicians and sign the worksheet as checked.
8. Provide on- the- job supervision and advice to Assistant Technicians when instructed by Laboratory Manager.
9. Escalate unusual findings or difficulty in testing new or varied material or problems that cannot be solved at own level, to superiors well in time.
10. Attend training sessions on Standard Testing procedures, Quality and keep self updated and familiar with the Quality Manual.
11. Carry out other laboratory/testing/reporting duties as instructed by the Laboratory Manager.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
• Hands-on experience in conducting basic tests for a variety of soils, rocks, aggregates, concrete and related construction materials
• Should be able to perform new tests under supervision, with ability to learn the techniques quickly with the aid of Method Statements and Work Instructions and other documents.
• Use and calibrate different equipment and tools.
• Dexterity in handling different equipment, tools and chemicals.
• Accuracy in reading results of tests and recording them correctly.
• Analytical and problem solving skills to solve routine problems independently and escalate other issues to superiors, well in time.
• Attention to detail to ensure correctness of test data in datasheets and reports, by self-checks.
• Communication skills to understand instructions in writing as well as spoken, and to convey clear messages about problems in testing or test results.
• People skills to gain and get cooperation from other team members, and be seen as an asset by team leader.
• Previous experience of Chemical analysis in related industries
QUALIFICATIONS & CERTIFICATIONS
BSc in Chemistry or Civil Engineering or Geology or related field.
At least 3 years of working in a similar laboratory, including at least 1 year of independent testing and reporting experience before FME. Should have independently tested a variety of soils, rocks, aggregates and preferably, also concrete, cement and other building materials.
Should be familiar with conducting most of the following tests, viz. Sieve analysis, Fineness Modulus, Proctor test(MDD & OMC), Liquid limit, Plastic limit, Plasticity Index, CBR, Field Density Test(Sand replacement method), Core cutting method; Compaction test by sand replacement method, Clay, silt & Dust content of sand; Elongation index, Flakiness index, Specific Gravity, Abrasion Value, Water absorption, Impact value, Crushing strength; Concrete sampling, slump test, Compressive strength, Extracting cores from concrete Structure, Rapid chloride permeability Test, Initial surface absorption Test, Water Permeability Test, Water absorption Test; Cement Consistency, Setting time(Initial & Final), Soundness, Fineness as well as Chemical analysis.
Must also be aware of the Industry Standards against which the above materials are tested, e.g. ASTM, ACI, BS, DIN, etc.
Should have calibrated the usual equipment/tools over the years.
|what we offer|
Salary will commensurate with experience.
To apply for this position, please send your CV to the mentioned email address stating Laboratory Technician 2997 in the subject line.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
|Apply for this job>> |